Posted in
discipline,
field trip,
high school,
sluffing,
sundance
Episode 8: The Field Trip Exile
This Misadventure wasn't anything clever on my part. I wasn't trying to con any teachers or principals, or accidentally commit any felonies. (see earlier posts) In fact, I wasn't trying to cause any kind of a stir. But I did anyway. That's just my luck.
It was a January morning at the beginning of the school day, and I was bunched up with the rest of my Film Studies class. We were waiting outside the school for the buses. Matt, Pablo, I were just talking about whatever, and nearby - Mrs Mckay (who I already told you has-got-to-be non-stop hashed) was rambling about something that was probably stupid.

We were going to the Sundance Film Festival that day, something I'd heard a lot about but had never been to, so for once I was somewhat looking forward to this field trip. No chemistry class, no math, just movies and travel. Not bad. Plus we could riff the films. (Riffing here is not about guitar, it means to mock the movie with sarcastic remarks--think old-guy muppets.)
The only cost was a $1 bus fee, the admission was covered by the school. Not bad at all.
The buses were running late, and given the large number of us two buses were required. Eventually, one bus showed up but the second was nowhere to be seen.
"Well, I think we'll have to go anyway," Mrs. McKay said.
I was near enough to reply. "What--are you going to drive us? We can't fit on this bus."
"We'll just have to sit three or four to a seat," she said. "Come on everybody. Three or four to a seat."
I remember sitting "three to a seat" on elementary school field trips, and it was too crowded even then. Now the majority of the class was over-weight and almost six feet tall. The idea of being squished against these people all the way to Park City was unacceptable. I was NOT going to sit three to a seat.
"That's illegal, Mrs. McKay," I said--coming closer. I didn't actually know if it was illegal or not.
"We'll just have to do it anyway. Come on everyone."
"It isn't safe."
I came closer, so I could look her in the eyes to make sure she was listening to me. (And believe me, her eyes are completely off-the-wall-out-of-control insane) As I did, this dude stepped partially in my way. He was middle-aged, a bit heavy set, and had kind of grissly hair. Definitely not a high school kid, and I knew he wasn't faculty either. (For some reason I hadn't noticed him until now.)
But I ignored him.
"I don't think you heard me, McKay, it isn't legal."
Before Mrs. McKay could reply this other guy started barking at me. Again stepping in the way. "Too bad kid. She's the teacher."
Who was this guy? Some kind of parent/chaperone?
I was pretty irritated, and I'm sure it showed. Afterall - I was a student addressing my teacher. I shouldn't have to go through some random hobo-looking guy.

So I ignored him again.
"Mrs. McKay we won't fit."
"Look, she already answered you. So be quiet." The hobo-looking guy said. I glared at him, and--yet again--ignored him.
"McKay, it isn't safe for us to ride three to a seat. We have to call and see where the other bus is."
Again, before McKay could reply to me--this other dude spoke up. Gruntling about how the teacher already answered me, but this time he stepped completely in the way. Blocking my line of sight entirely.
"Shut up and get outta my way, whoever you are." I glared at him, the kind of dead-set look that meant business.
Only then did Mrs. McKay finally speak up--by shouting.
"No! You do not talk to my husband that way! That's it! You're not coming. Go to class!"
"Fine," I said. And I marched off. I wasn't about to go to class. I'd already been excused from them all. That means a day off. So I went through the front door, and walked unopposed all the way to the back door. Eventually getting to my car. Thinking to myself: Your husband? How was I supposed to know that? And who invited him along anyway?
Just before I started my car, Matt and pablo arrived and got inside.
"What are you doing here?"
"Oh, well, we're not going now."
"Ok...?"
(They'd decided the festival wouldn't be as fun without me and my sarcastic commentary.)
So we decided to go see "a real movie." And on our way to The Gateway in downtown salt lake, we picked up our other friend Bryan from his house. Together we saw Oceans 12, and made our share of sarcastic remarks through it, and I'm sure we had more fun than the people at the festival. Oceans 12 wasn't very good. But we made it fun.
Oh and as an aside--to McKay's credit, she did think to reimburse us our $1 bus fee.
This Misadventure wasn't anything clever on my part. I wasn't trying to con any teachers or principals, or accidentally commit any felonies. (see earlier posts) In fact, I wasn't trying to cause any kind of a stir. But I did anyway. That's just my luck.
It was a January morning at the beginning of the school day, and I was bunched up with the rest of my Film Studies class. We were waiting outside the school for the buses. Matt, Pablo, I were just talking about whatever, and nearby - Mrs Mckay (who I already told you has-got-to-be non-stop hashed) was rambling about something that was probably stupid.
We were going to the Sundance Film Festival that day, something I'd heard a lot about but had never been to, so for once I was somewhat looking forward to this field trip. No chemistry class, no math, just movies and travel. Not bad. Plus we could riff the films. (Riffing here is not about guitar, it means to mock the movie with sarcastic remarks--think old-guy muppets.)
The only cost was a $1 bus fee, the admission was covered by the school. Not bad at all.
The buses were running late, and given the large number of us two buses were required. Eventually, one bus showed up but the second was nowhere to be seen.
"Well, I think we'll have to go anyway," Mrs. McKay said.
I was near enough to reply. "What--are you going to drive us? We can't fit on this bus."
"We'll just have to sit three or four to a seat," she said. "Come on everybody. Three or four to a seat."
I remember sitting "three to a seat" on elementary school field trips, and it was too crowded even then. Now the majority of the class was over-weight and almost six feet tall. The idea of being squished against these people all the way to Park City was unacceptable. I was NOT going to sit three to a seat.
"That's illegal, Mrs. McKay," I said--coming closer. I didn't actually know if it was illegal or not.
"We'll just have to do it anyway. Come on everyone."
"It isn't safe."
I came closer, so I could look her in the eyes to make sure she was listening to me. (And believe me, her eyes are completely off-the-wall-out-of-control insane) As I did, this dude stepped partially in my way. He was middle-aged, a bit heavy set, and had kind of grissly hair. Definitely not a high school kid, and I knew he wasn't faculty either. (For some reason I hadn't noticed him until now.)
But I ignored him.
"I don't think you heard me, McKay, it isn't legal."
Before Mrs. McKay could reply this other guy started barking at me. Again stepping in the way. "Too bad kid. She's the teacher."
Who was this guy? Some kind of parent/chaperone?
I was pretty irritated, and I'm sure it showed. Afterall - I was a student addressing my teacher. I shouldn't have to go through some random hobo-looking guy.
So I ignored him again.
"Mrs. McKay we won't fit."
"Look, she already answered you. So be quiet." The hobo-looking guy said. I glared at him, and--yet again--ignored him.
"McKay, it isn't safe for us to ride three to a seat. We have to call and see where the other bus is."
Again, before McKay could reply to me--this other dude spoke up. Gruntling about how the teacher already answered me, but this time he stepped completely in the way. Blocking my line of sight entirely.
"Shut up and get outta my way, whoever you are." I glared at him, the kind of dead-set look that meant business.
Only then did Mrs. McKay finally speak up--by shouting.
"No! You do not talk to my husband that way! That's it! You're not coming. Go to class!"
"Fine," I said. And I marched off. I wasn't about to go to class. I'd already been excused from them all. That means a day off. So I went through the front door, and walked unopposed all the way to the back door. Eventually getting to my car. Thinking to myself: Your husband? How was I supposed to know that? And who invited him along anyway?
Just before I started my car, Matt and pablo arrived and got inside.
"What are you doing here?"
"Oh, well, we're not going now."
"Ok...?"
(They'd decided the festival wouldn't be as fun without me and my sarcastic commentary.)
So we decided to go see "a real movie." And on our way to The Gateway in downtown salt lake, we picked up our other friend Bryan from his house. Together we saw Oceans 12, and made our share of sarcastic remarks through it, and I'm sure we had more fun than the people at the festival. Oceans 12 wasn't very good. But we made it fun.
Oh and as an aside--to McKay's credit, she did think to reimburse us our $1 bus fee.











