Follow me on Twitter RSS FEED

Episode 19: Two Top Buns

Sorry to disappoint you but this topic is much less sexy than you may have hoped based on the title. Alas, nothing risque here. Stick around, though, because it's about hamburgers and that's almost as good.

So.... one time Matt and I were at Carl's Junior, I think the occassion was skipping school. Can't remember but that's a pretty safe guess, and, for some reason, we weren't at our usual haunt on 80th. Instead we were over near Redwood Road, I think it was. So, being at a location we didn't expect to go back to soon enough to be recognized, we decided to try something we normally wouldn't have, when the opportunity presented itself.

For some baffling reason, a bonehead in the kitchen sent Matt's Famous Star hamburger over with two top buns, seasame seeds on all sides, and zero bottom buns. (I pity the fool who got a sandwich with two bottom buns).



But, besides looking strange, the sandwich was in no way worse than a regular one. If anything it may have been better, arguably.

Though putting two top buns on a burger is pretty stupid, that's what I'd expect from Wendy's not Carl's.

So we laughed about this and didn't really care, but Matt realized "Hey, I could take this back and get another one. I probably should just to teach them a lesson."

"Do it!" I urged him, thinking how funny it would be to see him return a burger with two top buns. "BUT," I added. "If you're gonna take it back anyway, at least eat a bunch of this one since they have to throw it away anyway."

He thought that was a pretty good idea. And for some reason decided to push it to the extreme. Once he's whittled his sandwich down to the size of a Kennedy 50-cent piece, he approached the counter "burger" in hand.

"Hello, sir, is there something I can do for you?" The manager asked.

"Yeah," Matt said. "You gave me a burger with two top buns." He showed them both sides of the burger remnants, which were so small the number of total seasame seeds could be counted on two hands.

(As if it took him that long to realize there were two top buns, and that somehow ruined the whole dining experience.)

"Oh we're very sorry about that," the manager said, looking confused. "Do we need to get you another one?"

"I think so," Matt said.

The manager looked at the sandwich fragment and asked, "Um... what burger was it?"

It had been chewed away so much that he could have literally named any burger in the restaurant. But he didn't, he said "Famous Star" and they presented him with a new one. We left and he offered me half of it but I didn't want any, I felt too guilty to eat some.

2 comments:

Mary P said...

I love how you always feel guilty after, lol, but still proud somehow (or maybe just in retrospect?)

Rich Sanders said...

haha, your guess is as good as mine