Posted in
So I took the LSAT a few weeks ago. Most of you are probably thinking "I didn't know you were considering Law School!"
Well, I wasn't. Not really.
Back in Junior High I thought I wanted to go into corporate law but then my interests changed. Drifted to medicine for awhile but I didn't have the guts for it. Okay, bad pun. Mostly I just didn't like the idea of being in school and/or in training until I'm middle-aged.
I also considered teaching (not enough money!), Economics PhD (too boring!), and the MBA path (no passion!) and ultimately decided Law might be the way to go. But for different motives than I had as a child.
Now it's not so much about prestige or status or wealth etc. In fact, quite the opposite. (Although I still intend to make a decent living!)
I know a guy who wants custody of his young daughter (because the mother has her living in a less than ideal environment) but this guy is afraid of challenging for custody for fear that, should he lose, the mom will cut him out of his daughter's life completely. (And he is the nicest guy in the world!) But I know that's not the only reason he isn't trying to win custody, it's also because he doesn't know how.
And it occurred to me that there are plenty of people who need legal help, many of whom can't afford it or don't know exactly how to get it. There is enormous opportunity for pro bono work, and that greatly appeals to me. Not because I'm some kind of saint (trust me, I'm not) rather because it's something I could really get into, because I'd be doing something I believe in.
If I do law, I want to help people.
So with that in mind, I took the LSAT. Aiming to get a 165.
And ... I got a 162. Not exactly great. (But in my defense there were two Games sections and I did really well on the one that wasn't scored!)

With a 162 and my current GPA, I am still a likely candidate for Law School at either BYU or the U, but not as strong as I could be. And as I look over the test, I don't find it difficult. I can do well. I just need to pace myself better.
So I'll take it again in October. And I'm going to get a 170.
Well, I wasn't. Not really.
Back in Junior High I thought I wanted to go into corporate law but then my interests changed. Drifted to medicine for awhile but I didn't have the guts for it. Okay, bad pun. Mostly I just didn't like the idea of being in school and/or in training until I'm middle-aged.
I also considered teaching (not enough money!), Economics PhD (too boring!), and the MBA path (no passion!) and ultimately decided Law might be the way to go. But for different motives than I had as a child.
Now it's not so much about prestige or status or wealth etc. In fact, quite the opposite. (Although I still intend to make a decent living!)
I know a guy who wants custody of his young daughter (because the mother has her living in a less than ideal environment) but this guy is afraid of challenging for custody for fear that, should he lose, the mom will cut him out of his daughter's life completely. (And he is the nicest guy in the world!) But I know that's not the only reason he isn't trying to win custody, it's also because he doesn't know how.
And it occurred to me that there are plenty of people who need legal help, many of whom can't afford it or don't know exactly how to get it. There is enormous opportunity for pro bono work, and that greatly appeals to me. Not because I'm some kind of saint (trust me, I'm not) rather because it's something I could really get into, because I'd be doing something I believe in.
If I do law, I want to help people.
So with that in mind, I took the LSAT. Aiming to get a 165.
And ... I got a 162. Not exactly great. (But in my defense there were two Games sections and I did really well on the one that wasn't scored!)

With a 162 and my current GPA, I am still a likely candidate for Law School at either BYU or the U, but not as strong as I could be. And as I look over the test, I don't find it difficult. I can do well. I just need to pace myself better.
So I'll take it again in October. And I'm going to get a 170.











