Follow me on Twitter RSS FEED

3rd of July

Posted in
This morning I felt like a complete idiot.

In my delirium as I got up, I didn't realize my alarm clock was set incorrectly. I put off getting out of bed as long as I could, got dressed in a flurry, and then raced off to work all the way over in Sandy, UT. Only to discover as I was about to pull in that I was an hour early.

Dang it!

Not enough time to go home and relax and come back, but too much time to sit around and wait. So I did all I could to pass the time. Got gas, got food, etc. All the while feeling like a complete idiot.

But I had a good excuse for being deliriously tired this morning. And that is I've been out of town since Saturday morning, out in Lander, WY at my uncle's ranch visiting my cousins and extended family. Lots of fun but very little sleep.

Every 3rd of July he puts on this magnificent fireworks display for us and the community and, although it is an intensely long and difficult process to set up, is worth it every single time. Here are a couple of photos form the show. (Note: I don't know who took these, but I saw them on facebook so I borrowed them. Hopefully I can put up some of my own photos (if my family took any) later on.)






And these are barely a sliver of how glorious the show is. Truly artistic, the fireworks are thoroughly planned and timed with perfect precision, choreographed to song after song after song. There really is nothing like it.

If you ever want to see it for yourself, feel free drop by next 3rd of July!

The only flaw in the show is that, in recent years, it has become more and more politically charged and opinionated. And while it is certainly my uncle's right to endorse and share his political ideas, which he is most sincerely committed to, I can see how some people might find the propaganda a bit offputting. But then it really enhances the experience for others, so maybe flaw isn't really the right word. In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if even the most liberal person was willing to overlook the propaganda because the fireballs and rockets are simply too cool to miss!

0 comments: