Follow me on Twitter RSS FEED

Episode 14: Sketchy and the Fat Face

Once upon a time in 8th grade, while going on a drive in the Lehmitz's van with my friends, a new toy caught my eye. I was sitting and looking out the window and somehow a Palm m100 ended up in my hands.



Matt Lehmitz was the owner and he had a chess program up. He wanted my opinion on a move, despite the fact that I am very average at chess, and/or he wanted me to play against the computer, not sure which. But whatever the case, the fact that someone could truck around their own hand-sized computer and play games on it cried out to me, and for the next several months all I wanted was my own Palm m100. (We're talking old school palm, grayscale with 2 megabytes of memory). I even asked for this for Christmas, but did not receive it--much to my dismay.

Still, somehow, I managed to get my hands on one. (And I don't remember how exactly, though I'm at least 80% sure it was through mostly legal means). And, in time, I upgraded to the m505. (I'm surprised I remember these names) By the time I got that one, I was in 9th grade and it was completely the bomb, nerdy or not.

[And, I just checked on Amazon, and you can now get one for $10]

using this palm and its extended 8mb of memory, I was able to make use of a program called "sketchy" which allowed me to make animated slideshows. Which I did all the time--often to pass time in class. Because these were the days before I gave up going altogether.

Over time I became a sketchy ninja, and one "movie" I made was nothing short of legendary. And to this day some people remember this animation. (This is 10th grade now). I remember very little of it, except that it was long and ended up looping so it never really ended. It included a potpurri of all kinds of random stuff, but nothing more famous than "the Fat Face."



I don't know why this became legendary, but it did. And it started appearing everywhere. Even on spooky notes.

In Seminary we had a program that allowed us, for a week, to send notes to each other (even to other classes and other periods), and we could submit them anonymously or with our names on them, or whatever.

It didn't take long for Matt and I to start abusing this system, out of boredom, and we began sending strange notes to our friends--and sometimes even from them. (For instance once Pablo "sent" a note to himself, much to his surprise).

The Fat Face eventually migrated onto these notes, including a "spooky" note we sent to a girl I happened to have a crush on at the time.

I don't remember what it said exactly--(and don't think I'm evil or a creepy or anything--I chose the word "spooky" because I thought it might hold your attention better than say insipid, dull, or juvenile)

What the note actually said was something along the lines of ... "don't wash your windows tonight or i'll be sad~fat face" or "you don't know who this is, and that's tooooo bad~fatface".

Sadly, I don't recall what it said specifically. But rest assured it was something stupid like the above. Anyway, we sent off maybe a dozen of these notes, even to random people we didn't know. And quickly forgot about them.

But I guess these "mysterious" (and stupid) notes ended up confusing a few people, and making them curious enough to remember them. And one day, while in a class we all shared, Matt began doodling a fat face and this particular girl lit up, "Ah! So it was you!"

Busted.

Luckily there wasn't more to the story... except embarassment. Yes, it was me. I "abused" the seminary mail system to send around juvenile notes. Sue me.

Not as adventurous as some episodes, but somehow just as memorable.

2 comments:

Road Guy Rob said...

How come fat face doesn't have any eyes?

Rich Sanders said...

I dunno. To be fair he was originally conceived in grayscale and his "eyes" were the same color as the background and everything else.