Follow me on Twitter RSS FEED

Ice Scraper Thief

Sometimes it's nice to have a second of something. A spare key, a redundant hard-drive, an extra credit card... but I never thought I'd need multiple ice-scrapers.

If someone had come up to me yesterday and offered to sell me another ice-scraper for a discounted rate, I would have laughed and told him to hit the road. I mean, what would I do with it? Use two at the same time? That's like using two shovels at once... I would have thought that was so stupid.

But that was yesterday.

This morning at some ridiculous hour in the early black dawn I shivered my way to my car (yes in Herriman it's snowy and cold) only to find it all iced over. Well, inconvenient but not a problem so long as I have my trusty sidekick Mr. Ice-Scraper. So I pulled out my key and beeped my car. It only beeped once. (Meaning I just locked it.)

"That's strange" I thought, I'm obsessive-compulsive about having it locked at all times. I even double check it regularly. (Habits from Magna what can I say...) So for me to have left it unlokced would have been very unusual. [And thinking back, I remember locking it last night using the panel instead of the beeper, so I know I locked it.]

Anyway, I opened my frozen unlocked car and reached for the ice-scraper. But it was gone. (It [used to] live on the floor of the passenger side.) I looked around, scoured the car, searched the trunk, nothing. Just completely gone.

Perfect... no scraper and ice all over the windows...

Do you know how long it takes to scrape away the snow and ice from all your windows and windshields with numb fingers and a smith's market-fresh values card?

17 Minutes.

I was late to work today... and I'll have to rethink how to keep my car secure... and I'll have to pick up another ice-scraper...

But at least it gave me something to blog about.



And so far, it looks like the scraper is all the thief took. I have a radio that hangs halfway out of the dash that could be hawked for at least fifty bucks. And it's not mounted or anything, you could literally pull it out with the strength of a small child. There were also two other radios (which I'd been trying to switch out without success--wrong connectors) and I think they're both still there (but I'll have to double check). Also in the backseat is my luggage and a basket of stuff. I haven't gone through it, but (I'm hoping) the thief left all of it alone too. (I have like $100 in bills in that luggage in various places.)

It's almost like he managed to justify taking an ice-scraper but couldn't justify taking something costlier because then he'd feel bad.

Well, I hope he feels bad anyway.
I hope he feels bad about it.

7 comments:

Mary P said...

Is NOTHING sacred!


Let's blame the economy! Wait....who's fault is that?

Road Guy Rob said...

No fun.

When I left my apt in Provo around 9:45 this morning, all I had to do was run the wipers twice.

Neener neener neener!

Rich Sanders said...

Ah but you were in Provo. So there.

Road Guy Rob said...

FYI - the pic is hilarious.

Rich Sanders said...

Want to make it even funnier? Imagine the pink panther theme while you look at it.

Road Guy Rob said...

In your honor.

http://defroster.ytmnd.com/

Anonymous said...

i once got stuck in a snowdrift on my way home from lifeguarding and had to dig myself out with the flip flop provided by my left foot... :( so sad